Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A Dance Class for Baby and Me

A Dance Class for Baby and Me



For those of you who don't know, I love to dance. When I was younger, I joined dance groups and cheerleading squads and danced the nights away in bars and clubs. When I became a mom, most of the dancing was saved for lulling the baby to sleep. I was glad when Lady Dazha from Silver Pod Studio approached me about a new class she was starting in her studio that featured moms and their kids called Baby and Me.



The class aims to teach moms (and dads!) with babies in baby carriers to dance. The dance instructor is professional dancer Ida Ramos, a member of The Metropolitan Theater Dance company and The Hotlegs dance company. She started dancing when she was 11 but stopped dancing for a while due to an injury. In 2016, she began to teach ballet, pop, and jazz. When I asked her why she chose to teach the Baby and Me class she shared:

In 2017, a good friend of mine got me to teach a baby-mama dance class for her and her friends who had babies. I had so much fun in that first class. That group continued a once a month class with me.

Eventually the babies in that group grew up so the mommies changed the class to just them dancing. When Silver Pod (Studio) asked me to teach a baby and mama dance class, I immediately said yes because I know it would be a happy experience for all the babies, moms and dads and even for me.

The trial class for Baby and Me happened last March 11,2018 at the Crossfit MNL compound where Silver Pod Studio is housed. The studio is very bright and child-friendly. It was an hour dance class with a 90's theme. Teacher Ida said that she sets a different theme for each class so that her students won't get bored. There were three other parent-baby pairs in attendance and they all said that they joined for the love of dance and for a new bonding experience with the baby.





We started slowly with lots of hand gestures and repetitive steps which were so effective in putting two of the babies to sleep! We had lots of breaks; after every two songs we would stop and check on the kids and drink water. At the end of the hour, we were all high with endorphins and happy with doing something new with our kids. The moms I danced with promised to enroll in the dance class once it pushes through.




I highly recommend this to moms everywhere, especially those wanting to shed weight like me. It's only an hour every Sunday morning and the time spent at the studio is worthwhile. Moms get the additional perk of socializing with other moms and even dads could join in on the fun. A baby carrier is necessary to dance along, but when the kids want to dance on their own, the moms have the option to set them on the floor as long as they are still supervised. For more information about the next Baby and Me dance class, check out their Facebook and Instagram.





Silver Pod Studio
91-C East Capitol Drive corner Sta. Clara, Brgy Kapitolyo (2.56 km)
Pasig
0917 877 6435




No comments:

Post a Comment

Kids Will Go Bananas at Cheeky Monkeys

Kids Will Go Bananas at Cheeky Monkeys  We recently heard about a new play place from my other mommy friends and decided to check...