Saturday, December 5, 2015

Carrier Review: Soul Slings Ring Sling Coal Chambray Double Layer

Carrier Review: Soul Slings Ring Sling Coal Chambray Double Layer



     My first carrier was a ring sling and we used it for quite a while before I tried out other carriers, so when I was offered a chance to test out a ring sling from Soul Slings for a week, I immediately said yes. Soul Slings is a company from Bangalore, India that started with Chinmayie and Ravindra, a couple who are into arts and who practice attachment parenting. Soul Slings are made from 100% natural fibers and have passed international safety testing. According to their website: 
"We believe that babywearing has a domino effect. It creates independent, healthy, secure, loving and sensitive people, who then go on to spread these virtues to the next generation. Babywearing is a way of life, a philosophy rather than just the practice of carrying or wearing a child. It has implications that spread beyond the family and the home, and we believe in contributing to and supporting the growth of this world."
     
     When I first got the 100% linen RS (ring sling) from Soul Slings, I noticed right away that it was a lot thicker that our local ones. The linen was really dense and I could feel the weight of it just by holding it. We tried it immediately and found it to be very supportive and very sturdy, Since I'm an old timer with ring slings, I found the Coal Chambray very easy to use and suddenly the hip carry became my favorite carry. As with ring slings, the cloth should be spread correctly and be snug enough to avoid any pains in the shoulder and lower back. There are times when the cloth would bunch up as I moved but then a few minor adjustments and it's all good again.





     There's a lot of sleepy dust with this RS and my son was conked out in a matter of minutes and stayed conked out for as long as I could carry him. The longest wear I did was 3 hours straight during a front carry before it became too uncomfortable for me to carry him due to my scoliosis. I tried to do a back carry but was unsuccessful, I probably need more practice before I can perfect that. I noticed that it was very easy to breastfeed in the Coal Chambray as my son is older now and can sit with his head unsupported, so I just have to lower him down in a hip carry and voila!

Sleepy dust abound!


     I let a few my friends try the Coal Chambray at a sling meet and a few common things they said about it was that it's cool and airy, very easy to use even for beginners and good for quick ups and on the go ups. We tried it on a 4 month infant and another almost toddler like my bub. They both found it very nice to use and had the same reactions as I did. They said they would love to add this RS to their stash of carriers.

      I would recommend this ring sling for parents of newborns up to toddlers, as I find it very easy to use and very supportive for kids of all ages. This is also relatively affordable for an international brand, with the ring slings costing around 1400 Php up to 2000 Php. We had a lot of fun using Coal Chambray and would be awfully sad to see her go. We wouldn't say no to having her in our stash in the future if given a chance!


Photos from The Average Snapper.

1 comment:

Kids Will Go Bananas at Cheeky Monkeys

Kids Will Go Bananas at Cheeky Monkeys  We recently heard about a new play place from my other mommy friends and decided to check...